I’ve been intending to get back to these for awhile, keep starting and stopping. They used to be a regular feature. They can be relatively low maintenance, too. And, it’s not that I haven’t had what to write about, it’s that I haven’t been doing it. Oh blog and readers, I’m sorry I’ve been neglecting you. I’ve been collecting bits in a Evernote notebook called “News Bites July 23”. That’s 3.5 weeks.
Anyhow, enough of my self-flagellation. Here are some interesting things I’ve read online recently (and not-so-recently), vaguely categorized:
- Heat, drought make for more flavourful produce (AP Newswire)
- Where have Canada’s young farmers gone? (Guelph Mercury)
- New gluten-free craft beer in Toronto (Toronto Life)
Kosher, and not
- The Forward’s roundup of Jewish (though not necessarily kosher) food trucks across North America.
- Toronto kosher deli Marky’s closes after 43 years. (The Grid) This is a piece of my childhood.
- Kosher Pop-up Brings Real BBQ to New York (The Jew and the Carrot)
- What is “sustainable” fish? (Well Preserved)
- Defining Food Security (Well Preserved)
- Red = Don’t Eat: Simple Food Labels and the Effective Illusion of Control (The Atlantic)
- That Taurine in Your Energy Drink: 10 Things to Know (Fooducate)
- 5 Incredible Health Benefits of Apricots (Organic Authority)
- 6 Healthy Diet Tips (and Secrets!) of US Olympic Athletes (Organic Authority)
- Junk Food OlympiAds: Athletes Fuel Games’ Fast-Food Assault (Take Part)
By the numbers, local:
The milk debate:
- Got Milk? You Don’t Need It (New York Times/Mark Bittman)
- Bittman’s followup piece, More on Milk (New York Times/Mark Bittman)
- Fooducate weighs in: Milk – The Pros and Cons
By the numbers:
- Veggie Stress – 10 Tips to Win the Race Against the Rot Clock (Fooducate)
- 5 ways to tell if your knife is sharp enough (The Kitchn)
- Harlem’s Soul-Food ‘Queen’ Dies at 86 (WSJ)
- Gluttony Show Is an Epic Win (Adweek). I didn’t learn much from this article about Epic Meal Time – I’ve read enough to know their story – but I didn’t know that they set out to make workout videos.
- Summer staples (Michael Ruhlman)
- Ratatouille-Inspired Summer Veggie Dish (Oh She Glows)